"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

change the truth update

The exhibition last month at Leopold Gallery resulted in a very nice donation to Change the Truth. Eight photographs were sold, as were lots of CDs, beaded jewelry and t-shirts. Thanks to Paul Dorrell, owner of the gallery, for agreeing to donate a percentage of his take to the kids.

I will be speaking about my Uganda trip and CTT at St. Andrews Christian Church, 13890 W. 127th Street in Olathe, Kansas on June 24th at 9:30 a.m. St. Andrews has long been an enthusiastic supporter of my work, having exhibited my “Among the Ashes” project a couple of years ago and making purchases of my work along the way for their collection of artwork displayed in the building. The talk will be in Friends Hall. Any and all visitors are gladly welcome, I’ve been told, so if you’d like to attend, by all means do.

More pen pal connections have been made: Ashton has been paired up with her new Ugandan friend Claire. Both girls are nine years old. Quinn’s Ugandan pen pal is Annet, and Joshua’s is Nicolas. If any of you blog readers have heard from your pen pals and wish to share excerpts from your letters here, please let me know. I think we’d all love to hear what the children from St. Mary Kevin’s have to say!

A very large print of “Hands in Sky” has been purchased by the University of Kansas Hospital for installation in their new cancer center. To the administration there, the image evoked a sense of hope, and they feel certain that cancer patients and their families will have the same reaction to the piece. Little did the children at St. Mary Kevin’s know that they could inspire people dealing with disease and death half a world away!


Since my visit with Michael, I have been yearning more than usual to return to Uganda. It looks as if there is a strong possibility that this may actually happen in October! Talks are underway with a local organization that may send a couple of travel/work companions along with me. I have also enlisted the assistance of an ace grant writer to explore further possibilities for fundraising and for building a dynamic partnership between St. Mary Kevin’s and the aforementioned organization (which wasn’t really mentioned…yet).

In the meantime, I’ve been going back through the work I made in October and have discovered a few images that I probably shouldn’t have overlooked the first few times around. This is one of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Gloria, that's great that you might get the opportunity to go back. Excellent!

If you need someone to shoot B-roll, give me a buzz. ;)

- Brian