"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

what are the chances indeed?

I had to reread this email several times to make sure it was real. This is an unbelievable coincidence, and I am looking forward to getting together with Shawna and her son this weekend!

“My name is Shawna and I live in Lee's Summit, Mo. I am a secretary at an elementary school. A co-worker gave me a UMKC publication, New Letters, to look at because I had just returned from Africa in October with a 13-year-old boy who we are adopting. My son's name is Salvation Joseph and he is from an orphanage in Kajjansi. He has attended St. Mary Kevin and knows some of the children who are there.

What are the chances that my co-worker has this book and that there are pictures from Kajjansi and then to find out that our new son knows some friends? I had no choice but to write and say hi and to introduce myself!! Especially after reading your web site and your thoughts of the kids in Kajjansi and what their reaction to snow would be!!! I can tell you that my son ran outside with his short sleeve shirt on to be able to feel the weight of the snow on his skin. It was like a blind person seeing for the first time. He loved sledding and he loves being cold and feeling the cold air. He tells me, 'Mom, I like being cold. I have been hot my whole life.' He is the most remarkable child (a mom bragging). I have three birth children who are also remarkable in that they have opened their lives, hearts and arms and embraced him into the family fold.

My story of how I got to know Africa and Kajjansi and now have a 13-year-old son from this country is a story I would love to share with you.

I look forward to hearing from you and exchanging how our lives changed in a small village in Kajjansi, Uganda.”

1 comment:

Billie Mercer said...

Incredible!