"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, January 27, 2007

pen pal letter

"Hello. I am twelve years old. I am about five feet tall and weigh about 88 pounds. I have hazel eyes and brownish hair. I have lots of hobbies. Some are the following: Beatles, stars, horses, horse racing, basketball, soccer, going to dances, climbing trees and playing with my little sister. I like to eat, if it is something I like. I eat lots of sweets, which I should try to get away from. I used to chew lots of bubblegum, but when I got 5 cavities I cut down on it. I love to sleep late in the morning. I love to collect stuffed animals and I sleep with them, no matter how big or small. I love television. That is how I waste all my time when there is nothing to do. I like to cook, especially cakes, breakfasts and cookies. I love to baby-sit with younger kids, which I am not yet old enough to do. I have about 10 little friends who love it when I come to play with them. I really can’t wait for when I’m old enough to baby-sit. I love to collect Beatle pictures and listen to their songs. I love any rock and roll groups and will take almost anybodys picture to put on my door. I love sports. Basketball, soccer, swimming and football are my favorites. I forgot to add track. I love to compete against others while running 600 yards or something like that. I also love to camp out. Camp is a blast too, because we canoe, campout, cook and sleep with all the wildernessy things. By the way, I love animals, too. Mostly cute, little ones, such as puppies, chicks, kittens. I like school. It’s pretty much fun after you get to know everybody and learn how the day runs. I make pretty good grades and make lots of friends at school. Well, I think that I have said enough about myself, so…… what’s your name?"

With all the talk lately about the pen pals from Uganda, someone asked me recently if I had a pen pal when I was younger. Apparently I wanted one. This letter was written by me in 1966, but never mailed.

No comments: