"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, January 29, 2007

a letter from gloria babirye, one of our sponsored students

"I am called Gloria. I lost my mother when I was still young and I never saw my father since child hood. When my mother died, I was taken to my grandmother and during time I was not studying.

The local council chairman one time came to our home and told my grandmother about St. Mary Kevin Orphanage. He took me there and I was accepted to start studying and staying at the orphanage in Primary Five.

When I completed Primary Seven, I had to start Senior One. The director and uncle Michael looked for me a senior school near the orphanage but this senior school could not understand my problem, they used to chase me out of class because of fees.

It was one evening when the orphanage manager Michael called us and gave us good news that there is no more chasing us out of class, that there is an organization called Change the Truth who is going to start sponsoring us. I got so happy; I cannot believe that I am like other children now, I can get shelter food and education."

My friends, this is what it's all about. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gloria,

You are an extraordinary woman and you are doing remarkable work. It just warms my heart to read of such success!