"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, August 18, 2013

violet, a birthday and some art supplies




One of our very young Change the Truth supporters, Violet, came up with a great idea for her most recent birthday. She asked her friends to bring gifts for the children at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage instead of for her. Violet, you are our hero!!

Here's a picture of the huge pile that was created when I unloaded all the goodies Violet and her friends gave us. They will be loaded into my duffel bag and delivered to the children at SMK this week. I know the kids in Uganda will be so happy to receive them!





I happened to find this note stuck to one of the gifts. I took a picture of it and am posting it here because I am in total agreement with what Violet's friend wrote.





Here is an interview I recently conducted with Violet.

What birthday was this for you? 

The seventh birthday.

How did you get the idea to ask your friends to brings art supplies for the
children at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage instead of bringing presents for you? Had
you ever done anything like this?

I remembered that my big sister Fiona decorated a doll for Change the Truth and I wanted to do something for the kids too. No, I’ve never done anything like that before.


How many friends came to your party? Were they surprised at your request for gifts? Have you inspired any of your friends to do the same thing for their birthdays?


There were about eighteen girls. I think they were excited to do it.


How did you feel after your party when you saw all the bags full of gifts for the children at SMK?


I felt really good because I was doing a good thing for other people.


What is your favorite subject at school? What grade are you going into? What do you like to do when you're not at school?


I am going into second grade. My favorite subjects are art and music. Really Iike everything except math.


What do you want to do when you're grown up?


I have no idea.


The children at SMK will be excited and grateful when they receive all the goodies you rounded up. Do you have anything special you'd like to say to them?


I hope you have fun and enjoy these art supplies. I know you will make amazing pictures with them and I would really love to see them.


Any message you'd like to send to other kids your age about kindness and generosity? 


Being kind and generous makes you feel awesome.


No comments: