"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, August 23, 2013

day two

I've been working with some young artists today, teaching them photography. Nicky, Brian, Rosette and Issy all have a natural talent for drawing, painting and working with clay. I wasn't the least bit surprised that they are tremendously capable of making some really nice photos, as well.

First we spent time looking at the pictures I had on my laptop, then just talking about light, composition, framing, SEEING, etc. We couldn't find any point and shoots that worked, so I gave them a basic overview of my Canon 5D and the iPhone. They worked in two groups, taking turns to use the cameras, pointing out things to one another and generally having a wonderful time!

We finished the day by reviewing their work on my laptop. We talked about editing, and I showed them how to crop and desaturate their images. We have not had time to work on the iPhone pictures yet.

The goal today was to get these young students to think about what it takes to become keen observers of the world around them. Today was all about looking and framing, noticing light shadow and having fun with the camera.

Here are a few of their best efforts. Pretty stellar. I told Nicky I wish I had taken this first one.


















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please tell them how much I LOVED looking at their work. Beautiful photos.Younmust be having a blast as well. Miss you.