"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

swimmer




Living in our condo means frequent walks down a hallway to get onto the elevator. At the end of our hall is a window that overlooks the swimming pool. We’re on the fourth floor. It’s a pretty cool view.

I don’t know why, but both Eddie and I have gotten in the habit of looking out that window whenever we walk down the hall... just to see what’s happening down at the pool. Usually nothing is happening. Sometimes there is someone swimming laps. Sometimes there are a couple people sunning in the lounge chairs. Usually, though, we just look down at the empty pool, spend a few seconds at the window, then continue on toward the elevator.

Yesterday I was on my way to do a portrait and had my camera gear with me as I walked to the window. I saw a man face down in the pool. He did not move. After a minute or so, he lifted his face out of the water, took a breath, then slowly lowered his face back into the water.

I pulled out my camera and made the above picture.

Later, in the car on the way to my shoot, I thought of the photograph “Underwater Swimmer” by Andre Kertesz. It was made in Hungary in 1917.





No comments: