"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, June 03, 2013

poland portraits

"Can You See Me Now?" is made up of several different bodies of work, some of which haven't been shown much (if at all) before. Three pictures from my Poland Portrait series have been getting some attention, so I thought I'd feature them here. I've added two others to the mix.

These are 16" x 16" prints. I shot them with a close-up lens, but even then, I had to get right in the face of these subjects. They are from 2001 when I was when Krakow and Warsaw on one of two trips I made while working on my "Among the Ashes" project (photographs made at the sites of former Nazi death and concentration camps).












I love the paper thin depth of field of the close-up lens afforded me here. I love that these complete strangers were willing to let me invade their space and get so close. I love that sometimes photography lets me dance with people - even if only for a few moments - I do not know and won't ever see again.


No comments: