"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, May 15, 2011

the graduate




Surely it wasn’t four years ago that I wrote about how hard it was to let my baby fly from the nest.

Yet this past Friday, on a gloriously sunny southern California morning, he flew even further. Max graduated from college.

I got goose bumps when the grads filed by. All those hopeful, beautiful faces, beaming with pride - their mortarboards tilted just so, their robes and tassels waving in the warm breeze. Delighted friends and family members snapped pictures, the marching band played, and I was surprised when a few tears welled up in my eyes.

Little Jeffrey (he changed his name to Max at age five) became a young man just when I seemed to turn around for a minute.

He gave us a run for our money; he’d be the first to admit that. We had our moments. But don’t all the amazing and spectacular moments stand out at times like this? And don't those tricky curves we navigated along the way make these moments that much sweeter?

I could list those amazing and spectacular memories here, but I think I’ll keep them tucked away to myself just now.

There is one I’d like to share, though, and it happened as recently as Friday night.

Our little family had gathered at the hotel. We talked about his future plans. Max never looked or sounded more confident, optimistic and pleased. As he spoke and gestured, I caught a glimpse of his independent spirit - a young man excited and eager to go off into the world on his own to see what he may find, to see what he might do.

And just as I was willing to let him go once more, a wonderful thing happened.

He reached over and took Eddie and me in his arms. Through his tears, he thanked us for all the opportunities we have given him. His handsome face rested against my cheek, and for just a few seconds, he was my little boy again. The stubble on his chin brought me back to the present, but my own tears had already begun to fall.

How proud I felt, both of what he was as a young boy and what he has become as a young man.

How grateful I am that he is still willing to let us see him at his most tender.

Our children are special gifts.



Go well, Max.

And, by the way... thank you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beauitful. Congratulations to Max.
-Jesse

Anonymous said...

So meaningful, and so beautifully written. I am happy for your whole family.
Cheryl

LDMark said...

Way to go Max! (not bad to you two either, Gloria & Eddie...)

Meg said...

Simply wonderful, proud Mama. What a moving post and beautiful photos!

Anonymous said...

This posting brings tears to my eyes and a smile to my heart...you are the best and you "get it" and that is why I love and admire you, Gloria.
-PS