"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, November 01, 2010

team 4: meet suzanne


The first Team 4 member I’d like for you to meet is Suzanne Garr. Suzanne and I have more than a few things in common. She and I both have a passion for photography, travel and children. Suzanne has even studied photography with Thatcher Cook, who was my workshop instructor during my first trip to Uganda (and who wrote the introduction to my book, Kutuuka.)

Ever since Suzanne contacted me a year or so ago, she has been such a good friend to Change the Truth. She has rounded up donors by spreading her infectious enthusiasm about our projects and has made her own real commitment to helping the children at St. Mary Kevin. She is responsible for the donation of 180 handmade beautiful, cuddly teddy bears that we’ll be giving to the children for Christmas. (They will be so well-loved!) More on them later.

Suzanne lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a place Eddie and I called home for a while back in the late 70’s. She has a background in art and has practiced yoga for the past six years. Her experiences with kids is vast, having worked as a camp counselor for disadvantaged youth, a reading tutor, a volunteer at Wisconsin Children’s Hospital and a Sunday School teacher. She has traveled to Ecuador, Kenya, Nepal, Mexico, the Dominican Republic and Bhutan, working as a volunteer and/or photographer. Suzanne also serves on the boards of several non-profit organizations.

In her own words: “I am a very compassionate and caring person especially when it comes to children. I am well read, especially when it comes to anything related to Africa and the causes that have been in the forefront. I have been wanting to get back to Africa ever since my first trip there in 2000, and I cannot think of any better way than to be part of Team 4 and the work that Change the Truth is doing.”

Besides helping with yoga and various other projects, Suzanne will teach art classes and will spearhead the Ugandan side of this year’s banana fiber project. I know she will take lots of pictures, too!

CTT, Team 4 and the children at SMK are very lucky to have Suzanne's support!

2 comments:

Grandma Finnestad said...

I have the honor of knowing Suzanne. She is a true humanitarian. I look forward to following your blog, Suzanne. Safe trip. Loie Finnestad

stacie pottinger said...

Suzanne looks like a great addition to the team! I look forward to reading about the others as you post them!