"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, November 27, 2010

collecting nicky's work


Dawn Taylor is a regular at the Change the Truth Friendraiser/Fundraisers. She has become a collector of Opio Nicky's artwork, which aint too shabby given her knowledge of and appreciation for good art. Dawn is the Executive Director of the Kansas City chapter of the American Institute of Architects and has a 17-year background in fundraising for the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art and the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.

She hand delivered a letter to me the other day and asked that I take it, along with some snapshots, to Nicky next month. I can hardly wait to see the smile that will spread across his face when he reads it.

I have a feeling that smile will be broad and very long-lasting.

Change the Truth and Nicky are lucky to have supporters/cheerleaders like Dawn and her family.

Here is Nicky (he went by Nicholas then) in 2007. I searched through my archives to find this photo. It is fun to remember him so cute and young; now he is a tall, handsome young man!


“Dear Nicky,

My name is Dawn, and I have wanted to write this letter to you for a long time, ever since I bought a painting that you made 3 years ago. As you know, ‘Mama Gloria’ creates a special event each summer here in Kansas City where she tells people about you and all of the children and staff at St. Mary Kevin in Uganda. I attend that event each year and I have bought paintings that you have made for three years in a row. I like being a ‘collector’ of your artwork!

The first painting of yours that I bought was in 2008, and it shows a man in a boat on a lake, and there is a flamingo on the shore. On the other shore, a person is fishing. I chose this particular painting from all of the others because it featured water and a flamingo, and I thought it was very well done. I think it is very colorful and interesting.

The following year, at the 2009 event, I looked for your artwork as soon as I arrived. Gloria and Jane Voorhees told me about you and about your many talents. I was excited to buy your painting that has a mountain and a tree and sunshine.

I went to this past summer’s event knowing that I would try to buy one of your paintings. When I saw your painting of the ship in the distance, with the sunset, I could not wait to bring it home with me! Then, I learned that your younger sister, Isabella, is also a painter. I bought her painting of the elephant. Now I have 3 of your paintings and one of Isabella’s! I hope that next year I will be able to have another painting of yours and perhaps one of Isabella’s.


I am also sending you some photos of my two daughters and me—we wanted to show you how much we enjoy having your paintings in our home! My older daughter is named Sarah and she is 15 years old. My younger daughter is named Emily and she is 13 years old. All three of us like art very much. We wish we had your talent for painting!

Gloria has told me how smart you are and how well you are doing with your studies and your art. I hope you will continue to do your best and be successful and that you will keep hopeful for more opportunities in your future. Please know that many, many miles away from St. Mary Kevin, you have many people here in Kansas City who think of you. I think of you each time I see one of your paintings. I would very much like to meet you someday.

In friendship,

Dawn”

No comments: