"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, November 29, 2010

samarie

2009


One of the first children I met at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage in 2006 was a 13-year-old girl called Samarie. Her name is actually pronounced SamaLie because Ugandans often swap R’s and L’s when speaking English.

(For example, Carol is called Calol, Melissa is Merissa, Lonnie is Ronnie. This R and L exchange extends to things other than proper nouns, of course. My favorite one, used in a sentence is: “Oops, your bla strap is showing!”)

At any rate, I’d like to introduce you to Samarie because she is just one of those extra special young people whom I’ve had to pleasure of getting to know over the years, and I think you should know about her, too. She’s one of Change the Truth’s sponsored students and one of our most willing helpers during team trips to the orphanage each December.

Samarie boards at Bethel Secondary School, where she is in Senior 5. She is now 17 years old. She is a talented singer and dancer, and for a while she was a drummer in the SMK marching band.

Some of the children we help support are “half orphans.” Samarie is just that; her father died when she was six, but her mother is alive and works in a market selling food. After the death of her father, it became clear that her mom wouldn’t be able to care for Samarie and her two other children. According to Samarie, “My mom could not afford to pay for food or school fees. She approached Rosemary at St. Mary Kevin and pleaded with her to allow me to live there. Rosemary accepted, and I have been there ever since. My mom helps with my tuition fees along with the help of Change the Truth. I still get to see my mom and siblings during holidays for a week. I miss them and look forward to seeing them. I love St. Mary Kevin because I have learned many things there. I have learned dancing and singing. I love my family there the most because that is where I grew up. And Rosemary is our loving mom.”

On the far left - with fellow students, 2010

Samarie is a lovely young woman, and she works hard to succeed. Had she not come under the care of Rosemary, it is likely that she would have become a young mother and would not have received the education she so desperately desires. With Rosemary’s help, and now with the help of Change the Truth, Samarie has a chance to pursue her dreams. She’d like to become a journalist.

I'm looking forward to seeing her soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I met her at orphange when she was primary five. she is lovely and hard working.
chiefpeter