"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, January 03, 2010

putting faces with names

If you've been following the trip, you've read about several of our Ugandan friends. I thought it'd be nice to show you who we've been talking about!

This is Isabella (aka Izzy.) She's the talented artist who made the drawing for our most recent CTT tee-shirt. You may have seen her work at our fundraisers or in my book, "Kutuuka."


Daniel is one of our secondary school age sponsored students. He just completed Senior 6 and is waiting for his final exam results. He is a great student and also an amazing artist. He hopes to go on to University next term with CTT's support. Here he is holding the CTT tote bag that is adorned with a reproduction of one of his paintings. It is also in "Kutuuka."


Michael, another talented artist, volunteers his time to conduct art classes at SMK orphanage. I first met him in 2008. He's a dedicated and inspiring teacher. He helps the kids with the nuances of drawing and painting and has also introduced clay, tie-dye and weaving. Nice, nice guy.


Michael's own work is really good. I have a few of his paintings on hand to sell. He's trying to raise money to return to school so that he can study graphic design. If you are interested in looking at his work, let me know. Here are a couple of examples.




For over a year now, CTT has paid for the part-time employment of Nurse Jane, as well as various medications that she needs to routinely administer to sick kids. Jane worked with CTT Team 2 member Dr. Tom Maddox in 2008 to start putting together health records and perform basic check-ups. Since then, she has nursed lots of kids back to health. Here she is standing in front of the clinic at SMK.


If you're a long-time reader of this blog, you may recall Moses from my first trip to Uganda in 2006. He drove me to Jinja, my first outing from Kampala. Just as we left to head back to the big city, be bought a chicken from someone in the small village where I was photographing. That live (soon baked from the trunk's stifling heat)) chicken made pitiful sounds most of the drive back. I've never let Moses forget about our first encounter, one that made me realize I was certainly not in Kansas anymore. Since 2006, he has driven many team members around Kampala, befriended us all with his winning smile, warm hug and heartfelt graciousness and has become one of my Ugandan "sons."


Joan Faith is the adopted daughter of Rosemary and Joseph, directors of SMK. She is their right hand woman and is being groomed to take the reigns at SMK. Joan graduated from University a year ago, majoring in computer studies. Without her spunk, enthusiasm, sense of humor and leadership skills, CTT trips would not be nearly as successful as they are. I work with Joan year round, and I must say she's probably the most responsible and confident 21 year-old I've ever met.


Here's Rosemary, Mama to all the orphans. I met her the first day I stepped onto the red soil of SMK in 2006. I communicate with her as regularly as I do my own family members. She's a good friend and colleague.


Last, but certainly not least, is my other Ugandan "son." Peter used to work at SMK and was the one who gave me my very first tour of the place three years ago. We became fast friends that day and have continued to nurture that friendship ever since. Peter is one of the nicest guys in the world. Since 2007, he's been CTT's "on the ground assistant." He makes our trips run smoothly. He has a tremendous knowledge of Ugandan history and politics, which he readily shares with team members. Peter is in school studying to be an accountant. When he graduates this June, this ambitious young man will be the first in his family to have left the village and obtained an advanced education. In his mid-twenties, Peter has taken on the responsibility of supporting his family, which includes several half-orphaned nieces and nephews. He has a wonderful smile, a humble nature and a great sense of humor. By day two of our team trips, he is loved by everyone. He considers Eddie and me to be his second set of parents.


In 2007, I gave Peter a Kansas City Chiefs hat. He put it on and promptly proclaimed that he was now a Chief. So that's what we call call him: "Chief Peter."

No comments: