"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, January 04, 2010

nelson-atkins museum talk


"Saturday, Jan 16, 2010
Artist's Talk
Gloria Baker Feinstein
1 — 2 pm
Lens 2
Free; reservations required.
Join Kansas City-based photographer and exhibition artist Gloria Baker Feinstein for a discussion about her work. Feinstein, an accomplished portraitist, also has completed photographic essays in Poland and the U.S. She is founder of the non-profit organization, Change the Truth, for which she makes regular trips to St. Mary Kevin Orphanage in Uganda."

This is from the calendar of the Nelson-Atkins Museum. I have read and reread it many times to keep reminding myself that this event is now less than two weeks away. It's kind of a really big deal (honor) for me, and I want to make sure I don't fall down or throw up as I make my way to the podium that day, So I've been practicing deep breathing. And, yes, I've also been working on what I'll say and show during the presentation itself.

This will be a version of talks I've given about my work before. I start at the very beginning - taking pictures as a very young girl - and work my way through several different self-assigned projects (Convergence, Identical Twins, Shredded, etc.) to end with the current work being done in Uganda (including some brand new images, like the one above, made in December.) I'll probably speak for 30 minutes or so and then will open the floor to questions/discussion. Afterwards, the book store is holding a book signing. They'll have copies of "Convergence" and "Kutuuka" available.

If you are interested in attending, you'll need to call the Museum for reservations (it's free.) 816-751-1278

I'd love to see you there!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

so wish I could attend. Good Luck and remember Breathe and you'll do great!!
Suzanne

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

Thanks, Suzanne. Yes, b-r-e-a-t-h-e. I appreciate the reminder!