"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, September 03, 2009

john trotter

A few posts back, I mentioned a photo a young man had taken of Annie Leibovitz when she was at my gallery for her exhibition and book signing back in 1985. That guy was John Trotter from nearby Springfield, Missouri. I didn't know him; he simply mailed the signed photo of Annie to me a few weeks after the event. He introduced himself to me years later at a portfolio review in Santa Fe, and I was impressed with the work he was making. John told me a little bit about what had happened to him since we had last seen one another, but I honestly had no idea that he had been through such a horrific ordeal. Read about it here. It's a miraculous and inspiring story.

No comments: