"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, March 09, 2009

news from the orphanage

I just received this greeting for all supporters of CTT from Rosemary at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage:

“Thanks for the efforts for the orphans.
When they are happy, I am also happy.
They are our children –
Their future is determined by our actions.”

I recently sent a package full of letters and pictures for the children. Here is Rosemary’s take on the frenzied mail-call that must have taken place:

“The orphans almost ran me down because of your photos & letters.
They were all over me – which was good, but tiring.
I shall try to forward their replies as soon as possible.”

Finally, Judy, a CTT supporter from New York visited the orphanage a couple of weeks ago, before she headed off on a gorilla trek. Here is her report:

“I just returned from Africa on Saturday and am slowly re-entering my life. My journey was extraordinary and my time at SMK was amazing. Rosemary. Joan, all the teachers, staff and children were very welcoming. I spent the day with them and left with many greetings for you. What a blessing you and your organization are to St. Mary Kevin as they are striving to improve their conditions. The garden is in the process of providing flavors to their meals, and they are enjoying the new tastes a lot. Thank you for making my visit possible.”

Next up: the amazing and powerful four-minute film made by Lynne to be used as the viral “Save the Date” for the CTT Friendraiser/Fundraiser. Stay tuned – you don’t want to miss seeing this beautiful piece she has been working on since our return from Uganda.

No comments: