"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

change the truth trip: meet tom


I first learned of Change The Truth last year when a dear friend, Lynne Melcher, said she was going to Uganda to work with an orphanage. She said she was going to film a documentary about the people – the children, the staff and other volunteers that would be on the journey. While watching the finished film that told the story of the children at Saint Mary Kevin’s orphanage, I knew I wanted to be a part of such a meaningful project.

I am a Family Physician so will be helping to see what we can do to solidify the foundation of health care for the kids. Learning what facilities and programs are already in place and what is needed will be the first priority. Overwhelming would be an accurate way of describing what I conjure up in my mind the potential work that needs to be done. I truly hope we (I am going to think positively and depend on the help of my co-travelers) can make a difference in the health of the children.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to go on a medical mission in a small village in the rain forest in Nicaragua. That trip changed the way I look at the world. I’m sure the experience with the children and staff at Saint Mary Kevin’s will have a similar impact.

As this is election eve, I must say (without revealing too much of my political persuasion) in preparing for this trip, I look forward to the change in myself and what small part we can do in creating change in the world. After all – that’s part of the name of this group, eh?

Besides helping with the health care at the orphanage, I’m also excited to help with the garden. Since a lot of my medical practice has been in education, teaching the kids and staff about nutrition and tying it to the food they grow themselves will be fun. Of course all other “jobs” sound like a blast as well – music, play & therapies, computers, construction – but I’m looking forward most to meeting the children and getting to know them.

No comments: