"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, July 10, 2008

portrait time


Summer, in my little corner of the world, means commissioned portraits. I am not taking any new clients, but am still happily working with families I’ve photographed over these oh so many years.

I am lucky. I get to work past the cheesy smiles and get right down to the business of portraying something that is, dare I say, more real? My clients don’t mind scraped knees, scowls, contemplation or missing teeth showing in their pictures.

I am also lucky because I have known most of these kiddos since they were barely able to sit up. Some since just a few days after they made themselves known in the world.

It’s a tough job, as they say, but someone’s gotta do it.

No comments: