"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, July 24, 2008

gloria

Who knew I’d be one of the “calendar girls” this year? I was supposed to be the one simply taking the pictures. Didn’t plan on being in one of them.

Here I am on the “wrong” side of the camera, not a place I generally like to be.


I decided to recreate the self-portrait I made twelve years ago in Santa Fe. No impressive boulder to climb this time, no gorgeous forest for a backdrop. Simple and straightforward. (Thanks to Eddie for standing in as my tripod.)

These are the words that will accompany my self-portrait:

“I am a photographer, a mom, a wife, a friend, a daughter, a sister and the founder of a non-profit organization that helps AIDS and war orphans in Uganda. I am a little girl and an assertive woman. Two years ago I went to Africa for the first time and had my life turned all around. This year I had breast cancer, and my life got all turned around again. Both experiences have opened my eyes to what is good and what is bad about life. Both have helped me understand what love and compassion really mean, what is important and what is not. I did not expect to be on the ‘other’ side of the camera for this year’s calendar. But here I am, hopefully a stronger, wiser and better person than I was last year.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome photo Gloria, in a variety of ways. all the best to you and your current group of subjects, I can't wait to see more.

Anonymous said...

beautiful!!!!