"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, July 31, 2008

424


Four years ago when my mother was diagnosed with leukemia, I set about making photographs of the house I grew up in, the house where my parents still lived. I had just turned six when we moved into this house; I still return there to this day to be with my dad.

I was inspired to post images after seeing a series photographs by Phillip Toledano entitled “Days With My Father" a moving and wonderful body of work that my friend Aline Smithson recently featured on her blog.

These pictures, while they aren’t about my folks specifically, are about the details of the home they created and shared with my siblings and me. They are about the quiet, still moments that existed/exist in a space that is as familiar to me as my own breathing.



















3 comments:

Billie Mercer said...

Wonderful images. I was wondering if you had also seen Scott Campbell's images of his mother's home.
http://www.easttexasphotographer.com/evelyns/index.html

Aline said...

These are wonderful, Gloria. I'm assuming you are using a Diana...the interiors came out perfectly--did you light or have any special techniques?

sandy said...

Gloria, these are wonderful... inspiring work. Thank you also for the link to Phillip's photographs of his father. My Mom has a spoon collection too - hanging in her kitchen. She is 81 almost - and is going through chemotherapy treatments.