"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, July 08, 2007

uganda - take two


Flashback…
Blog post from November 2, 2006
Kampala, Uganda

“At one point during the return trip to Jinja, I realized that we were listening to ‘Islands in the Stream’ by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers on the radio, that the gas gauge had permanently settled on emptier than empty, that the chicken in the trunk must surely have expired by now due to sun stroke and suffocation, that the chicken I had eaten for lunch was starting to remind me of its presence in my digestive system, that I was having trouble breathing due to all the dust on the road, that I was sitting next to a very black man named Moses in a dilapidated car in the middle nowhere in Africa, and I just had to smile. How cool is it to be able to be transported to something that is so far removed from your own reality.”

It’s official! I’m returning to Uganda to be transported once again. My trip is scheduled for early December. I can hardly wait.

Much more to follow.

No comments: