"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

day two on the road

Yesterday’s travels took me west on 54 to Greensburg, Kansas. This is the town that was basically ripped up and thrown off the map by a tornado in early May. There used to be 1600 people living here. Word is maybe half will try to move back; most of the older folks have already permanently relocated. Only when I was in New Orleans after Katrina have I seen such destruction. House after house was leveled to its foundation. The tops of trees were shorn off.

I checked in at the volunteer tent to see if there was anything a woman passing through town for a few hours might be able to do to help. Turns out they could have used me for some heavy manual labor; it sounded like more than I could really handle. So I wandered around what was left of the place, my jaw basically on the ground, my camera raised to my eye only a few times.

From there, I meandered north and east toward Lindsborg, Kansas, where I settled in for the evening. The deep green prairie of the Flint Hills that I experienced the day before had given gave way to expanses of corn, wheat and, if I was lucky, sunflowers.

Greensburg, Kansas

Greensburg, Kansas

outside Greensburg, Kansas

Kinsley, Kansas

Macksville, Kansas

Macksville, Kansas

near Sterling, Kansas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been lurking for a while, but now I wanted to let you know I think your work is great. I look forward to seeing more.

Heather said...

In this series of shots...the pool, the sunflowers and that lonley stop sign...wow...