"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

kentucky 4


We spent the afternoon going through old photos. I am always delighted when I discover ones I feel certain I took as a child and amazed when I come across wonderful images of the family I’ve never seen before. What really astounds me, though, is the tack sharp memory my father has when recalling the circumstances surrounding people, places or events in the pictures, even ones dating back to the 1940’s!

This photograph of my grandparents and older brother was taken in the late 40’s. My father was probably the photographer. He has always claimed he has no artistic sense, but I am beginning to question that.

I culled more slides for my Shredding Project, too – ten more to play around with. I’m excited to get started on them. Speaking of the Shredding Project, several of the large ones (28” x 28”) will be installed in the April exhibition at Dolphin Gallery in Kansas City. I am honored to be part of this show that includes images by Elijah Gowin, Deanna Dikeman, Jesse DeMartino and Michael Sinclair. The opening for the show will be Friday, April 6th. More on that to come.

No comments: