"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, March 11, 2007

convergence

Boys Swimming, Kansas, 2004

This image of mine was featured on Leopold Gallery's blog a few days ago. A reader named Walker made some comments I really enjoyed:

"Anyone who has attempted the medium knows that there is but a brief second when the fates converge, when line, form, contrast, and some inexplicable thing (beauty, mystery, eloquence) are captured on a negative. Only later does one find the positive emerging from the chemical baptismal bath, only later does one choose between the image taken two seconds before the boy with outstretched arms jumped in or up, or the one just after when his arm blocked the face of another who is now swimming away. And how intensely frustrating it is when the vision is missed, when one is too late, or too early, when one failed to make the proper calculations of exposure, or composition, or damnit put film in the camera (sounds ridiculous I know but that kind of stuff does happen). Conversely what a joy when these elements succeed."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gloria - a reader of mine sent me to your blog and I made a post about it. For some reason the email link doesn't work for me (it's my computer) so I just wanted to say feel free to correct me if I've got anything wrong in the post! Also, it would be great to include one of your photos in the post - but I should ask you first of course - if you're interested and have time, drop me an email at katie dot volunteer at yahoo dot com. It sounds like you're doing some great work.

Anonymous said...

Hi again - I must have very bad email karma because I got your email and tried to email you TWICE and both times it was returned. AOL must think I'm a spammer (maybe I am!). I'm sorry - I'll try from my other email addresses but for now, here is the link: http://www.volunteerlogue.com/organizations/blogs-you-should-know-about.html
It seems that I do get your emails, so feel free to reply by email or through a comment on my blog. Sorry for all the drama!