"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, March 23, 2007

color

Today I begin a three-day stint in the editing suite with a very talented video editor named Cara, at an elegant and gorgeous production facility called Take 2. The generous people at Take 2 are donating their time and resources to “Change the Truth.” The goal is that at the end of three days, we’ll have a finished video complete with film footage, songs, interviews with the children and still photos made at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage Motherhood.



I have been sifting through color images that could be used use in the video and am surprised at how much I am drawn to them. I’m one who has always claimed that I “see in black and white” and I have never had much interest in making color photographs. The Uganda project has been the first body of work that I’ve shot digitally, so this is new to me. Having the opportunity to see the images in both color and black and white is kind of interesting. I must admit I am getting somewhat seduced by the color.

1 comment:

Billie Mercer said...

Gloria, Color is seductive. I have found that I'm seeing color images now more than B&W and actually when I convert a digital image to B&W, many times I'm not sure about which one I like better the color or B&W version. On the other hand I've been scanning some B&w negs and I still love the monochrome image.

BTW, the new conversion tools in PS CS3 beta/Bridge and in Lightroom are totally wonderful. Much better ways to convert than what we have had in the past.