"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, November 13, 2006

orphanage photos

Getting to the orphanage is a bit of a challenge. The paved highway that goes on toward Entebbe is fine - it's when you turn off onto the dirt road that leads up to the school that it gets interesting. It's a colorful and amazing scene, with people walking about, vendors selling fruits and vegetables. children playing, people on their bicycles, women sweeping their dirt front stops with reed brooms, etc. Just when you think there can be no more curves or ruts or gulleys or bumps you finally reach the grounds of St. Mary Kevin Motherhood.

Rosemary is the founder/director of the place. She's a lovely, gracious woman who has raised four of her own very competent and successful children. (Two live in the US, her daughter is one and is a doctor.) She does God's work here and is blissfully happy with the challenges and rewards presented to her on a minute by minute basis.

Peter runs a number of programs. He was my tour guide, side kick, and quickly became my friend. He is, more than anything, the pied piper of the place. The children go crazy when he approaches, and he is cleary loved by all of them. He's recently completed his studies at the University.

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of Michael, the Director of the Orphanage. It was in the first batch that was lost with my laptop. He is a dear man and very dedicated to the needs and efforts of the school. He is extremely efficient and smart. (He also has a really adorable baby boy and a lovely wife, both of whom I had the privilege of meeting when he took me to his home.)

Sonja was one of my constant companions while I roamed around taking pictures. As I mentioned in an earlier post, she is funny and bright, sweet and a bit mischievious. She and I made a really special connection.

To those of you who gave me money to take to the school so that they could buy books: they made the purchases the very next day, had the books piled up on a desk for me to see when I arrived, and had inscribed each one of them with thanks to "Gloria and friends." They could not have been more gratfeul. How cool is that?





















































The last two pictures were actually made at the orphanage in Jinja.

I have gotten an overwhelming and positive response to my request for interest in possibly establishing "Change the Truth." I appreciate the comments from those who have reminded me that it will take a lot of hard work to put together and run. I hope you'll stay with me as I look further into the possibilities. Thank you for being so supportive up to this point.

No comments: