"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, February 26, 2015

surgery

Sadly, I have had to postpone my upcoming travel to Uganda. I have to have shoulder surgery instead. All the wear and tear of lifting and using my camera equipment combined with a couple of falls and the natural aging process has left me with a torn rotator cuff. Ugh.

This morning I tried to do everything with my left arm and hand. Not so easy. I found that I did things verrrry slowly and with much concentration. The stick-out-my-tongue kind of concentration.

I did a drawing and then I photographed it.  The process made me extremely mindful of each step involved. It also made me realize this is going to be a long few months.




I'm determined to do something creative during my recovery. I think I'll go nuts otherwise. Maybe I'll draw, maybe I'll do a series of photos with my iPhone. My BFF said I'll probably write a book. Another said I'll probably become ambidextrous and end up being able to shoot with one hand while drawing with the other. Ha! I doubt either of those things will happen, but my friends do know me; I'm not going to let this keep me down.


No comments: