"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

perfect day

Just a perfect day
Drink Sangria in the park
And then later
When it gets dark, we go home

Just a perfect day
Feed animals in the zoo
Then later
A movie, too, and then home

Oh, it's such a perfect day
I'm glad I spent it with you
Oh, such a perfect day
You just keep me hanging on
You just keep me hanging on

Just a perfect day
Problems all left alone
Weekenders on our own
It's such fun

Just a perfect day
You made me forget myself
I thought I was
Someone else, someone good

Oh, it's such a perfect day
I'm glad I spent it with you
Oh, such a perfect day
You just keep me hanging on
You just keep me hanging on

You're going to reap just what you sow
You're going to reap just what you sow
You're going to reap just what you sow
You're going to reap just what you sow

I've been singing this Lou Reed song a lot lately. Maybe it's just because of all the specials about Lou Reed that I've listened to on the radio or watched on TV since his recent death.

(If you haven't read the piece Patty Smith wrote for the New Yorker about him, you need to. Click here. Then, there is his wife Laurie Anderson's piece in Rolling Stone. Also stunningly lovely.)

A few days ago, while the song was just beginning to set up camp in my head, I did some photos for the upcoming Operation Breakthrough video. I got to shoot pictures of three sets of siblings. These are brothers and sisters who genuinely love each other and enjoy spending time together. 

It was a crisp fall afternoon. Crunchy leaves under our feet, the breeze whipping up our hair every now and then, pumpkins still on the front porch. A beloved little doggie running around and then licking faces. A worm on a leaf.

Siblings playing hand games together, watching TV together, throwing leaves around together.

And me getting to take pictures.

Just a perfect day.
















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this - what a wonderful way to start my day. If only we could each find such joy in the simplest but most meaningful times.

timpott said...

Thank you Gloria.
I've also had it in my head all week - keep finding myself humming it. Beautiful post!

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

Thank you, Tim. So nice to hear from you. Maybe there are a lot of us humming this song in unison on these last few beautiful days of autumn.