"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, August 24, 2013

day three


Of course, I am making my own pictures while here. I try to set aside a certain amount of time each day to work on my “Uganda” portfolio.

After all these years of schlepping my gear pack around the village, people now kind of expect me to pull out my camera. I have established a nice rapport with many of the women and their children. They are, for the most part, extremely generous toward me. Mothers are usually flattered that I want to photograph their children. They are so proud of them.

Once I return to KC, I try my best to make small prints of all the portraits I take and send them back to Kajjansi with the next Change the Truth volunteer(s). It is rare that a villager can afford to have a nice portrait of a family member made locally, so it’s a pretty good gift, I think.

I always tell CTT team members (and even my young photo students here) to try and ask before taking someone’s picture. It’s common decency and courtesy, and when children are involved, it is simply goes without saying these days. The act of shooting becomes more of a collaborative effort... sometimes even like a dance.

Here's one of my new images. It was taken at a home right next door to SMK.




No comments: