"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, February 04, 2010

meet henry


-Age: 17
-Date of Birth: June 25, 1992
-Arrived at SMK: in 1999
-Mother: Died of disease when he was young
-Father: Died of disease when he was young
-Siblings: One sister (Age 12), Nakato, she lives near Lugujja with a lady who pays for her schooling.
-Tribe: Muganda

After my parents died, I went to live with my uncle, and my sister went to go live with a nice lady. My uncle brought me to his priest. When I was six, my uncle died. Having nowhere else to go, I had to live on the streets. Life on the streets was very difficult and getting food was a struggle. I would search for food in the garbage. At night, I would sleep on the street. After living on the streets for one year, Rosemary found me and took me in at St. Mary Kevin. I feel good here because I get food, shelter, school fees, and sometimes clothing. I feel at home. They take care of us. I really thank Mama Rosemary and Change the Truth for all that they do for us. Change the Truth has helped us with so much. We have gotten new beds, blankets, and mosquito nets. After the way I have suffered, I feel better when I am here at SMK. When I am here I work hard so that I will have a bright future and to set a good example for the younger kids. I sometimes get to see my sister, but we both work so hard that it is difficult to get together. I have no other living family members. St. Mary Kevin is my home, and the people here are my family.

-Talents: Football and singing
-Future goals: to become an Electro Engineer (I am waiting for my exam results)
-Current school: St. Paul Secondary School- Senior 4

No comments: