"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, December 24, 2007

webale


Being Jewish, I have always had sort of an awkward time at Christmas. Of course, I always wish my gentile friends a merry day. I bake cookies for our neighbors and make sure our mail carrier, Bump, gets a little cash tucked in an envelope expressly for him. When the kids were little, we gave Christmas gifts to their friends and teachers and happily went along with all the Christmas festivities and concerts at school. Sometimes we served meals to Kansas City's homeless. Nowadays, Eddie and I usually go this one Chinese restaurant that is always open on Christmas Eve and then to the movies on Christmas day (at both places, we see enough of our Jewish friends that we could be attending services!) Well-meaning baggers always wish me “Merry Christmas!” at the grocery store, and clerks in stores send me out the door with the same lilting, gleeful expression.

I am leading up to something quite wonderful that I am gong to do on this particular Christmas Eve, something that feels anything but awkward!

Thanks to you, the amazing and generous friends of Change the Truth who have responded like angels to the needs of the children at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage, I will be wiring funds to Uganda.

It seems that many of you decided to give a donation to your loved ones instead of another toaster or tie. Do you have any idea how cool that is?

Because of you, I, one lucky girl indeed, get to launch close to six thousand dollars (most of which is earmarked for food) across the ocean to a very special place. The money, which totals something like 11 million Ugandan shillings, will land at the orphanage just in time for the kids to get a little something extra in their porridge during this week of Christmas. And then, of course, it will enable Rosemary to feed the children for months to come without having to worry.

So, this Christmas turned into a not so awkward time at all for me. It’s actually one of the best ever. Thanks to you. Or, as one would say in Lugandan, “Webale!” (way-bah-lay).

6 comments:

Prince Hamilton said...

I commend you for your work.

Anonymous said...

The timing of your trip sent us all a very beautiful Christmas message--an example of what it means to give of our time and ourselves. You have provided an example of putting aside our own material comforts to give to others.

Your example was a beautiful gift that arrived just in time for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Journal Entry, Friday, December 21:

Each Christmas, the story of a Jewish baby born in a land far away is supposed to be the image that captures our hearts and motivates us to go out in the world doing good. I hold that vision, yes, but a more vivid one this Christmas is of one Jewish woman traveling to a distant place, following that call as the Wise Men did, and going about doing good.

--KB

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog this morning was my favorite Christmas gift. To know that Sister Mary Kevin's Orphanage is getting such a blessing as you sent is just the sweetest thing to me. This is what the season is really all about.
Thank you for the work you do and for sharing it with the rest of us.
Connie

Ann said...

While on the first CTT visit, I learned that in Uganda, Christmas is celebrated by gathering family together and preparing a meal, no gifts are exchanged. On Christmas, I thought of the children all day, wondering how or if they would celebrate and wondered if they would have food. Thank you Gloria and thank you everyone. Because of your generosity these children have food and know that they have family around the world. Hearts everywhere have been lifted by this gesture.

Aline said...

Loved reading about your thoughts on Christmas...not being Jewish and living in a neighborhood where most all my friends are...well, I celebrate everything. I'm not a religious person, but the idea of giving and compassion is what this season is all about. I am so grateful for what you are doing, and as a fellow photographer, I am so proud of your achievements. I always share your wonderful journey with my students...
Happy New Year, friend!
XO A