"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, December 08, 2007

by jane

What a Ride

I had no idea what to expect from this trip. Most of my friends thought me a bit crazy for wanting to go to Africa, so I went with anticipation, but excitement.

A toast to my fellow travelers: our leader, Gloria, with her incredible vision; Melissa and Anna, social workers extraordinaire, who have become Pied Pipers to the children; Lynne, the tireless filmmaker who cannot quit working after the tape stops rolling; Carol, the New York lawyer, who is there for anyone who needs help; and my partner in art, Lonnie, who is so much more sensible than me. We have become a close-knit group and have had much fun working together.

Everyday we drive from Kampala to Kajjansi with Peter, our guide, and Henry, our driver, both of whom we have come to love. We travel from the bustling city of four million people to the quieter town through the most hectic traffic I have ever experienced (there seem to be no rules), to the bouncy, red dirt roads to the children at St. Mary Kevin’s.

How they restore my faith in humanity. Their music, dancing, sports and studies we have witnessed, but most of all we have seen their smiles. How can this be? Their clothes are shabby, their quarters are crowded and dirty, their food boring, yet nutritious. They have lost everything, mother, father, home, personal possessions, pets… but still they smile.

I will be sad to say goodbye to this beautiful country and gentle people. My friend, Craig Subler, was right when he said, “You will have the time of your life and Africa will steal your heart.”

No comments: