"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

muzungu: by melissa

In Uganda, "muzungu" means "white person." Typically, it is a greeting or description for a white visitor before an exchange of names occurs. I must admit when I first heard "muzungu" I was a bit curious about the reception of part of our group in parts of Uganda. However, I have experienced "muzungu" being a term of endearment, source of laughter, and bridge of education for me in Uganda. There is no malice associated with the word.

As our van has driven through villages, children will stop their play or chores to greet the muzungus. Some have even chased our van a great distance with voices shouting and arms waving, "Muzungu! Muzungu!". There have been only a few times that group members have experiences people crying either from fright at the sight of our pale skin. During a trip to the Wildlife Conservation as I stood in front of an exhibit, I became an exhibit myself. A father was showing his young son (no more than 16 months) a muzungu. Luckily, the baby appeared more interested in the monkeys than me.

Being a muzungu and visitor of Uganda has been a great education for me. Some of the children at St. Mary Kevin's have taught me basic phrases in Lugandan (their native language). Our friends, Peter and Henry, have shown us many parts of Kampala and surrounding areas. They have seen beyond our skin color and have embraced us as friends.

When I recall Uganda and St. Mary Kevin's, this story will always remain close to my heart: After being at St. Mary Kevin's only 3 days, I was walking with a group of my new young friends. They all want to hold a part of my hand or have a piece of my attention. Several children started calling, "muzungu, muzungu." My friend (mukwanogwangwe), Dorene (who is 5 years old) stops to say, "That is not muzungu, that is Melissa." From that moment on, I was called Melissa, and I knew I had crossed from visitor to friend in Uganda.

No comments: