"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

the prius takes on highway 54

Yesterday morning I decided to take a little Kansas road trip.

I gathered up my camera, my laptop, a pile of CDs (“I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning” by Bright Eyes is my current favorite) the excellent book I’m reading (28 Stories of AIDS in Africa by Stephanie Nolen) some sweet tarts (a must for any road trip) and our beat up but well loved road atlas.

Climbed into the car and off I went.

I headed southwest, then due west, through small, sun soaked, sleepy towns. The highway I traveled was straight as a pin, the fields on either side impossibly green. There was a storm hanging in the sky by late afternoon. Rain fell in thick, heavy sheets as I pulled into Wichita for the night.

Greeley, Kansas

Yates Center, Kansas

Welda, Kansas

near Eureka, Kansas

Rosalia, Kansas

Rosalia, Kansas

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love the shot with the ducks/geese (?) and the laundry! Wonderful!