"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

you can help

After hearing from Elayna and others that they would like to do something for the orphanage in Kampala, I sent an e-mail to the director asking for suggestions. This was his reply:

“I am sure the children will be much excited when they receive food and books, but which kind of books? We have been having friends who send books to us based on the American Education system and the children find difficulties with them since our education system is different compared to yours.

I am suggesting when you come here we shall take you to the book shop and you buy the books. Children like exercise books where they make notes and text books, and for the food we can take you to the store.

Some friends donate things through the Organization Address:

St. Mary Kevin Orphanage Motherhood
P.O.Box. 5472 Kampala
Uganda,

Thanks for the support you are making with your friends.”


If anyone would like to participate, let me know by sending me a check for a small sum, and I’ll take care of shopping once I’m there. Thanks!

While I’m on the subject of donations… if anyone has an old point and shoot digital camera they don’t use anymore, I would love to have it! I would like to give the children the opportunity to make their OWN pictures. If I can pull it off, I’d like for them to make images and then also do some writing. It could be a very powerful addition to the body of work I make. So… please let me know if you have anything. It’d be a lot easier than listing it on Ebay. Just call me, and I’ll come pick it up.

Cheers!

No comments: