"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

gloria in kentucky

My father is making progress and seems better each day. He has been in the hospital now for over a week and is itching to get to a rehab center to begin rebuilding his strength. We are hoping that move will take place within the next couple of days. At that point, I will probably head back to KC and deal with all the last minute stuff I need to do before I leave for Uganda on the 18th.

For those of you who have never been to Kentucky, please try to come here sometime during the fall or spring, when this part of the country is in full splendor. I took a drive yesterday down Old Frankfort Pike to a quaint town called Midway. The two lane highway (they actually call it a "biway") rises and falls through some of the most beautiful horse farm country in the world. The fall colors are spectacular, the grass so green (with a blueish tinge when the sun hits it just right) the limestone walls a reminder of the colorful history of this area, the thoroughbreds so elegant and stately. A deer even crossed the road at one point during my drive, adding to the breathtaking beauty of the whole experience.

While I've been here, I have been trying to finish up a project for Operation Breakthrough's annual fund raiser. The theme this year is "Candyland", something about the "sweetest kids in town." I'd like to share one of my favorite pictures. This little guy couldn't believe his good luck when we handed him all these gumballs!

No comments: