"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, January 08, 2015

hello edward and lewis?

I have spent the past few days making some new black and white images from older captures made in Uganda.

The following only happens to me every now and then:

I'll be working on a picture, and some iconic, historical image starts hovering in the corner. It's kind of a cool and comforting experience. I mean, I'm sitting here in front of my computer all alone in a quiet room. I've not spoken to anyone most of the day as I've worked on these new pieces. I am basically in a vacuum. So, when these older images occur to me, and I make connections with photographers' ghosts and their pictures, I feel really connected to the long trail of images and image-makers that have gone before me. And that is a good feeling.

Here is my new picture. It was made in Uganda at St. Mary Kevin Children's Home.





Below are the images that have been floating around and keeping me company as I've worked on it. Granted, both Hine and Weston made sure every possible square inch of these images was in razor sharp focus, and I have done just the opposite, but still. The basic structures of these pictures are very similar. And not in a way that I mind at all. So, I nod to Edward and Lewis today.


photograph by Lewis Hine, 1920

photograph by Edward Weston, 1927


No comments: