"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, January 18, 2015

a different kind of model

I like to try new things. When I was asked to photograph pumps, I jumped at the chance.

At first I had no idea how to approach these medical devices with my camera. They were hard and shiny and full of buttons and LCD screens. They seemed cold and sterile. But I know they also serve a great purpose: saving lives by allowing people, such as cancer patients, to get their drugs in a safe and efficient manner.

So I started to think of the machinery from a more compassionate point of view. As I unpacked the pumps and lined them up on a table, I tried to see their unique personalities.

Call me crazy, but, it worked for me.  

Just another day at the studio*, then, making portraits of pumps people. Making portraits.

The client was pleased.

















* My studio now, since I move out of the Livestock Exchange Building, is any place that will work. I made these photographs in my apartment, using the natural light that comes in through the blinds.


2 comments:

Jessica said...

That does seem like an interesting change of pace. The pumps are lovely. :o)

Anonymous said...

I love these. Really cool!
- JM