"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, December 19, 2014

young artists from smk get opportunity to visit art galleries

"Today I took Willie, Oscar, Brian, Nicky and Issy to a couple of art galleries in Kampala. Art teacher Michael had arranged for a guided tour at the University Gallery at Makerere, and we got to meet with the gallery director. I wish you had been able to see our young artists' faces as they walked around in awe. It was pretty darn cool. The gallery director even took us into their art storage that was recently updated with funds from the U.S. Embassy. It is small, but it was fun for me to get to share a little of what I do at the Nelson-Atkins with them.

I had asked for her to address the business end of being an artist. It was… interesting to say the least. She talked about how galleries worked, and then she mentioned some of the prices the works were receiving when they sold. The kids got so excited, until I had to explain how rare having gallery shows are for an individual artists, how much work you have to put into making then happen and how most artists also have a regular full time job as well. I'm not sure anyone believed me, until the director at the next gallery and Michael said exactly the same thing.


Overall, I think everyone really enjoyed it and left inspired to try some new things." - Natalie



Issy, Brian and Michael

Willy

Nicky and Oscar

Willy, Brian, Oscar, Nicky, Issy, Michael and gallery director

No comments: