"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, December 25, 2014

team 8: wyatt



"Today was not only my favorite day at SMK so far, but one of the most impactful days of my entire 18 year old life. My arrival this morning was met by hugs and laughter followed by Jonah handing me two very impressively crafted bracelets that read ‘Wyatt’ and ‘Wy-Wy’ (my nickname since as long as I can remember that many of the kids have taken to calling me.) Today also saw the continuation of music lessons to many of the eager piano players. Ronald is a particularly quick learner and I had a moment of absolute jubilation when only ten minuets after I taught him how to tell what key he was in or how to differentiate between major, minor, major 7 and minor 7 chords he was teaching the exact same thing to Jonah. Ali continued my daily lesson in Luganda and I still struggle to learn the language although it absolutely fascinates me. Today a group of the kids took me down to collect firewood with them which was also an incredible experience. As I would pass the locals many of them would shout comments and I would ask Brian or Jonah to translate. Most comments were particularly hysterical and ranged from ‘he said you have hair like a girl’ to ’they are surprised we are making an American work!’ Today concluded with dinner with the team along the coast of Lake Victoria and was absolutely beautiful. Today is also my father’s birthday and my mother was sure to buy him a cake so we could all celebrate. Today has been an extremely special day and one that I will cherish for a long time. Christmas is tomorrow and I am excited for the joy and happiness that the day will bring."


-Wyatt W. Cobb


No comments: