"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, July 03, 2014

jeff and viper and typo

Today I drove past towns called Jeff, Frozen, Flat, Typo and Ned to end up near Viper where I did indeed find a little boy I photographed 39 years ago. He's 45 now.

It was a great day. Driving through the hollers of eastern Kentucky is sad and exhilarating. The landscape is beautiful; a lot of the people are struggling.

It was a happy reunion with the family I knew so long ago. I hung around for the afternoon, making photographs of them, their relatives and their neighbors.


Perry County


Perry County


Perry County


Perry County


Perry County


Perry County


Perry County


Perry County


Breathitt County


Perry County


Perry County


Perry County


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic!
- JM

Anonymous said...

These photographs are amazing, Gloria. I really appreciate the tension between wanting to show the people honestly, as they were (are), and yet not wanting to make them objects of derision. I could sense your empathy in the photos - a desire to connect with the people without taking a superior position. I had a similar experience when on a work project in the Apalachia area of Tennessee. I was appalled at some of the living conditions and yet respected the tenacity of the residents- Debra