"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, June 23, 2014

it's always the same and it's always different

Making photos from the same spot day after day reminds me that while things stay the same, they are also changing. Here's my most recent pool picture, made from the window I pass several times a day when I walk down the hall of my apartment building.

Have you ever seen the movie "Smoke"? There's a character in the film who takes a picture from the same vantage point - a street corner - every day for 11 years (for a total of 4,000 photos). On the surface the scenes look the same. Only until we slow down and look closely at the changes, some subtle and some not, do we begin to grasp the notion that time - and our own perspectives - are constantly reshaping and redefining that which seems familiar. 





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like what you captured in this photo -- shadows, symmetry, play of light on the water, humans (incl baby friend in the infant carrier). - DT

Anonymous said...

I love this series!
Susan