"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, January 20, 2013

photo revisited



I made one version of this image soon after I returned home from my September trip to Uganda. There was something about it that I didn't like. Now that I am working on a show, I decided to revisit the pictures I made of these sisters on their way to school.

This one is slightly different from the first, and I like it better.

It can be helpful/interesting to put some space between the time you make images and the time you finally select and print them. One's perspective can shift, leading to a different appreciation/better understanding of certain images.


3 comments:

Cheryl Hanna-Truscott said...

Hi Gloria-
I follow your blog - when a photo or one of your drawings catches my eye. I'm interested in the comparison between this version and the prior version.
I am a photographer/midwife and have gone to Haiti twice to do documentary and promotional work for Midwives for Haiti. Just returned two days ago from my second trip. So, your images and thoughts are very interesting to me - as I experience similar considerations in my own work.
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

1804So beautiful!
BB

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

Thank you, Cheryl. I've been wanting to go to Haiti to photograph. Maybe we can talk about that sometime!