"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

suzanne, my sister and a gorilla trek


I am now busy packing duffel bags for my upcoming trip to Uganda. Got my prescription for Malarone yesterday.  Bought some Imodium. Found a great pair of gardening gloves and rain pants (will explain later). Seems like I should be able to do this in my sleep now and that the preparation would be boring, but each visit to the Pearl of Africa is different for me… especially this one.

So, let me explain.

Team 6 will be going to Uganda in December. It’s a fantastic group of volunteers, each of whom I will introduce to you as the date draws nearer.  CTT is incredibly lucky to have yet another enthusiastic, caring cadre of individuals who have stepped up and said, “We want to help, and we can’t wait to meet the children at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage!”


Suzanne with some of her adoring SMK friends

This year, the leader of the team will not be me. Instead, it will be Suzanne Garr, a very loyal and true friend to CTT. Suzanne was a member of both Team 4 and 5, and she has done so much to raise funds and awareness throughout the years. In fact, at her recent 50th birthday party, she asked her guests to bring gifts – not for her, but for the kids at the orphanage. Suzanne just does things like that, again and again! She will be an able leader of the group, and she is looking forward to taking on the responsibility. Much more on Team 6’s trip will follow.

As for me, I am going in September. Being on my own will give me more time to work with the orphanage administration and more time to spend with the children on an individual basis. It will also allow me more time to shoot. And, finally, it will give me time to do something I’ve been wanting to do since my first visit to Uganda in 2006: go on a gorilla trek!!!!!!

And, the cool thing is, I’m only going to be on my own for a few days. My beloved sister, Bobbie, who has been listening to me go on and on about the kids, the smells, the sounds, the red earth, the delicious matoke and the welcoming spirit of the Ugandan people, is finally going to experience it all for herself. She will join me for a good portion of the trip, including the trek (bring on the garden gloves and rain pants). We are so excited!

So, please stay tuned for more details as they unfold. If anyone has pen pal letters or small gifts for sponsored students, please get them to me by the 10th of next month so I can find a spot in these duffels I’m packing.

Much more to come…


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So exciting for you and your sister! What great memories you'll create together!!