"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, May 31, 2012

here comes da judge

I'm stuck at the airport waiting for a delayed flight to the lovely southwest, and I thought I'd list the reviewers I'm scheduled to see while in Santa Fe. Several of my devoted readers have asked who I'm seeing.

I was fortunate to get all my top picks for review sessions (speed dates, if you will). There are so many good reviewers who are attending this year's event; it was hard to narrow down my choices to just nine. Hopefully, I will get a chance to show work to other reviewers... those I'm able to snag in the evening at the bar after a few martinis (Oh, I know. Totally unethical.)


At any rate, those to whom I shall plead my case as a photographer are:

Todd James, senior photo editor at National Geographic Magazine
Kelly Blair, senior book jacket designer at Knopf
James Estrin, co-editor, NYT Lens Blog
Diana Gaston, associate curator at Fidelity Investment's Corporate Art Collection
Elisabeth Biondi, independent curator, who most recently was a photo editor for The New Yorker
Natalie Matutschovsky, senior photo editor at Time Magazine
Annick Shen, photo editor at the Open Society Foundation
Amber Terranova, photo editor at Photo District News Magazine
Katheleen Hennessey, director of exhibitions and activist awards at PhotoPhilanthropy

So, if you are even distantly related to any of these folks, went to grade school with one of them or feel quite certain one of them owes you a huge favor, please let me know!!

But seriously, this is a really cool opportunity for me, and I'm looking forward to it. It's an impressive group of people from whom I am certain to glean a lot. More later...


3 comments:

Jessica said...

I know none of them. But I wish you the best of luck; sounds like a neat experience!

Suzanne said...

CONGRATS on getting your National Geo pick and the PhotoPhilanthropy one looks interesting as well. All great, can't wait to hear all about it. I do know someone from Milwaukee that is going this year as well Tara Bogart. She teaches at Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design. Got get 'em!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I know it'll be great.
-JM