"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, December 02, 2011

art club


Each year when I return to the orphanage at St. Mary Kevin, I am blown away by the progress the young artists continue to make. Those of you who have seen their artwork in at our fundraisers or on the CTT website know what I'm talking about. These kids are amazing.

The secret weapon behind these blossoming creative talents?


Michael Stanley Kolulye, volunteer art teacher extraordinaire.

Michael makes the trek to the orphanage whenever his schedule allows. He gathers together those kids who have incredible promise and/or obvious skills. He puts canvas and paint in front of them. He utters soft spoken words of instruction and encouragement. Michael gives these children everything they need to soar.

The SMK Art Club, as it is now known, consists of some of my dearest young friends. Pictured in the top photo are, from left to right: Brian, Oscar, Nicky and Geoffrey. They're showing off their new, hand painted club t-shirts. Michael sent these photos via Facebook this morning. I couldn't post them here fast enough. In the second photo are Michael and sweet Oscar. Aren't these boys and their work beautiful?

I am a lucky girl. In 12 days, I'll get to attend a meeting of the SMK Art Club. I'll be the one bringing the treats, as well as good wishes from the many friends of CTT who made the treats possible. The duffel bags full of canvas, acrylic paints, paint brushes, sketch paper, craypas, watercolors and drawing pencils will be unpacked, and these artists will happily get to work.

Michael's an angel and has become my good friend over the years. The work he does with/for these creative children has truly been an inspiration to me. Thank you, Michael, for all you do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to have the "Ivan" t-shirt now to go with Ivan's painting that we bought at last year's auction. Have a wonderful trip, everyone!