"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

melissa


Melissa Mosher has been living and working at St. Mary Kevin orphanage for 15 months now. The work she's doing with the children and for Change the Truth is nothing short of miraculous. I thank her (daily in my thoughts and once a month on the phone) over and over again. Truly, she has made the work we are doing more meaningful, relevant and effective.

Pictured above is Melissa, Issy, Melissa's mom, Pam, (who recently visited Uganda for seven weeks) and Rosette. A day at the beach. Can't wait to have my own day the beach with the kids soon!

The following is a piece Melissa recently posted on her blog. It's about how thankful she is for the opportunity to work with these special children. Melissa, please know how thankful WE ARE for you!

"I am ever thankful for St. Mary Kevin Orphanage Motherhood. (Hold on cause there are a lot of thanksgivings to follow!) First of all, I am thankful to the orphans that call SMK their home. Despite personal tragedies that have brought them to SMK, they are sincerely the most loving, friendly, inspiring, talented, spirited children I have the pleasure of knowing and loving with all of my heart. From the youngest orphans in pre-Primary to the older orphans in Secondary school, I have such fondness for each age level in different ways. (But yeah, nothing could compare to my love of the Big Boys!) I am thankful for the vision and tireless dedication of SMK’s Administration. There are very few people that I admire and respect more than Rosemary and Joseph Kavulu (and their daughter, Joan Faith) for their years of unconditional love and support for these children. Without their direct interventions in the lives of the orphans at SMK, it is frightening to think of where some of them would be today. I am thankful to a staff of teachers, matrons, cooks, and coaches who work together as a tight-knit community to raise these orphans. Finally, I am thankful for the unique atmosphere of SMK that is truly blessed. From my first visit at SMK, I could feel something special in the air in and around SMK. The more time I have spent here, I honestly believe it is LOVE. SMK is truly one of the most special, contagious, gracious, friendly, loving places in the entire world!!"

1 comment:

savy said...

Hello my name is Savannah i'm one of the pen pals that wrote to them down there I love the pictures and posts I hope they're all having fun please post more!