"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

paper beads


I’d like to think that whenever I go to Uganda I teach a few things to the kids.

Of course, I also learn a few things.

This past December some of the older girls showed a group of us how to make the beautiful paper beads that they string onto bracelets, necklaces and earrings. I admit I wasn’t very successful and didn’t actually complete anything that day. But I did come home remembering how to make them.

Next week I’ll be speaking about Change the Truth during “Africa Day” at Pembroke Hill School. I’m giving a presentation to the middle school students in the morning. In the afternoon I’m conducting hands-on workshops with the students. During those, we’re going to make paper beads! The students will make earrings to sell as a fundraising project.

I needed to make sure I could actually make the beads and create earrings! So I set up shop at my dining room table and had a date last evening with an old magazine, an exacto knife, glue, varnish and some jewelry making supplies I picked up at a local bead store.

Voila!! A pair of earrings was born.

I can't wait to see what the group of middle school "kids helping kids" will create next week.

And I can’t wait to show this pair of earrings to my teachers at the orphanage!

No comments: