"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, April 28, 2011

miranda mei ping holloway


I have asked seven young artists to participate in the doll project this year. I don't think there is anything I can possibly add to what Miranda has written about herself and her doll. Except that I think she (and her doll) are amazing.

"Hi, my name is Miranda Holloway. I am 7 years old and go to second grade at Stanley Elementary. I was born in China, but now live Overland Park, Kansas. I was an orphan, but I’m adopted now. My parents are Meg and John and they brought me home from China when I was 8 months old. I really like creating art for fun. I also love reading, playing Barbies, school, piano, gymnastics, cheerleading, American Girl dolls, and being outside.

It’s really amazing that some kids in Uganda have enough money to go to school for one whole year because of Change the Truth. Hopefully the auction of my doll will get enough money for two school scholarships. I really hope that this can help their dreams of going to school come true.

I feel powerful when I know that I can help kids in Uganda even though we are on the other side of the world.




My doll’s name is Mangeni. Mangeni in Ugandan means 'fish.' I named her that because I think her family lives by a lake. She is 8 years old and the middle child in her family. She has five chores to do each day. One of her biggest jobs is fetching water for cooking, and that is what she is doing. She’s wearing her best clothing, since it is a Sunday and they are going to church. She made her necklace when she was 5 years old and it is the colors of the Ugandan flag. The two brown beads that she put on her necklace represent the Ugandan people. She likes red and black a lot, but her favorite colors are blue and purple. She always brushes her hair as smooth as it can be and she has bangs, too. Her hat is to shade her from the sun, and it’s made from gluing seashells together.

The book is a little bit about Mangeni and her personality. It also has the message I want to share through my artwork: 'Education is a gift worth giving.'"


** You can't see it in the photo, but the water Mangeni is carrying is represented by a sweet, single light blue sphere.

4 comments:

Meg said...

So, so proud of my daughter and the amazing work of Change the Truth!

Heartfelt gratitude to you, dear Gloria.

M

Lou Radcliff said...

Wow Meg!! What an amazing and talented girl Miranda truly is! Such a kind heart... an inspiration. Big hugs to you & your Shining Star. Louise x

Anonymous said...

I just love this. I love the doll and the little story that goes with it. Miranda sounds like a special young girl.
HLT

Nelson Wasswa said...

You have bet ma heart!
Thanks for the work MAMA-GLO