"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

this woman needs tights and a cape


One of the best things that has happened to Change the Truth is Melissa Mosher.

During her first trip to Uganda (as a member of Team 1), Melissa knew immediately that she wanted/needed to make room in her life for the children at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage. There really wasn’t a question in this young woman’s mind. She’d be back to Uganda, and then she’d be back again.

Melissa was a member of Team 2 and then even made a solo trip. Both she and her son, Antwain, joined Team 3. By then it was just a matter of working out the details. The Moshers were moving to Uganda.

Melissa and Antwain

Melissa’s job description with CTT is: Social Worker and CTT/SMK Liaison. The director at SMK likes to call her Orphanage Manager. The children just call her Mama.

I am starting to believe she’s actually a super hero in disguise. (The capri pants and flip-flops don’t fool me one bit, Mel.)

This woman does it all.

In fact, I really don’t know how we functioned without her! Mel has opened her home to a rather large brood of children. She’s the go-to person for tabs (Tylenol), boiled drinking water, pencils, soap, Bandaids, the soccer ball pump, a little dose of “The Lion King” movie, anything that is lost and everything that feels like family. She is the one who visits the sponsored kids at their schools, makes sure there is enough to eat, makes referrals to the medical clinic, sees that homework is done, makes sure someone has remembered to water and feed the pigs and, well, the list goes on and on and is continually being invented.

When Team 4 invaded her home this past December, she welcomed us with open arms. I watched this super hero juggle ten kids’ needs at one time while making the best guacamole and salsa on the planet while making adjustments for a sudden change in plans while reminding Antwain to wash his clothes while offering a hug to a sad kiddo while suggesting a new idea to a team member while smoothing ruffled feathers while wiping tears while making sure all of us had everything we needed.

I realized while watching her in action last month that she also has talent as an organizer, a leader, a diplomat, a public speaker, an event planner, a tour operator and a think-tank wiz.

The most amazing part of it all? Melissa smiles more than anyone I know.

And laughs a lot, too.

Now that she is MY go-to person, I am learning that besides doing it all and doing it with grace and good humor, she is also an amazingly quick study. CTT just got a huge donation of seeds, for example. The donor wants to make sure the seeds are harvested, dried and reused. Mel will be an expert on the subject soon. The vocational school system in Uganda? She didn’t know much about it a month ago, but oh just wait!

Each time I ask her to take on a new task, this super hero tackles it with gusto. And she doesn't even wear a cape.

When I first met her son, Antwain, he was about seven or eight years old. He was obsessed with super heroes. He was dressed as Batman one time when I photographed him, jumping on the bed pretending to perform mighty feats.

I wonder if he knew all along there was a super hero living under his own roof. I bet he did.

Melissa, thank you for all you do for all of us. You’re one amazing woman.

If you’d like to follow Mels’s blog and learn about her daily adventures in Uganda, you can find it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is indeed a super hero and I loved reading about her accomplishments at the orphanage. What an incredible labor of love for both her and Antwain.

S.

Melissa said...

Gloria,

I am humbled, honored, validated and profoundly touched by your blog posting today. Thank you a million times over...Thank you for taking a chance on me. Thank you for supporting both me and Antwain. Thank you for the incredible work that you are doing to lead CTT. And thank you for being such an incredible friend to me over the years.

There has not been one day that I have awoken in Uganda and felt so blessed and just darn happy to be extactly where I am...fully content and loving the kiddos at SMK. I will forever be grateful to you, Eddie, and the rest of the CTT family for supporting my dreams into a reality.

Having the CTT team here at SMK (and then my home) was a really proud time for me. I am proud of the simple house that we have a made a warm home to many. I am proud of the children who worked very hard to make the CTT team comfortable. And I am proud to share my expanding family (Lion King, little quarrels, and all).

As we say in Uganda, you are most welcome anytime!!

Melissa